Tuesday, Nov. 21.
The test will include rhetorical devices, tone, diction, and syntax as well as vocabulary.
Please post to this thread ONE favorite, "most likely to be used" word from your vocab list.
Include in your post:
- a clear definition
- use the word correctly in a sentence
** make sure to write your name on the posting so you can get credit for your work.
ALL 25 words generated from this class are eligible to appear on the Terms Test. Please post your word, etc. no later than Tuesday night at 9:00pm. Check back to the blog to cut and paste the classes' words to your own growing list.


33 Comments:
Laura Shrode
Exacerbate- to increase the severity, bitterness, or violence of (a disease, ill feeling, etc.); to make worse.
Suzie's illness was exacerbated by herlack of proper nutrition.
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 3:27 PM
Anna Gifford
Dotard- a person, especially an old person, exhibiting a decline in mental faculties; a weak-minded or foolish old person.
My grandma was being a dotard when she brought the cake pan, but forgot to make the cake.
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 4:09 PM
Lauren Griffin
Pithy: (adj.) brief, forceful, and meaningful in expression; full of vigor, substance, or meaning; terse; forcible
e.g. Her pithy comment clearly revealed her opinion of him.
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 4:11 PM
Julie says:
SURREPTITIOUSLY adj.
to act in a way that is unordinarily stealthy or extremely crafty
i.e. I always felt that the local librarian was unusually nasty, so I always crept surreptitiously around the bookshelves to avoid her.
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 5:26 PM
Ryan Johnsen
Extrinsic-not belonging to the thing with which it is connected; from without, outer, following.
That man's fake leg is extrinsic.
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 6:04 PM
Sardonic-grimly mocking or cynical
The man's scornful feelings were clearly shown as he attempted a sardonic smile.
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 6:23 PM
Skullduggery: Mean dishonesty or trickery.
"The man said he was the valet, but I think he was just a thief!"
"Wow, that's some kind of skullduggery"
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 7:32 PM
Skullduggery: Mean dishonesty or trickery.
"The man said he was the valet, but I think he was just a thief!"
"Wow, that's some kind of skullduggery"
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 7:32 PM
Skullduggery: Mean dishonesty or trickery.
"The man said he was the valet, but I think he was just a thief!"
"Wow, that's some kind of skullduggery he pulled on you"
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 7:32 PM
Oops, I think I broke it.
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 7:34 PM
Expedite: To speed up, to do some efficiently.
"Joseph, you suck at building character, so I enlisted you in the army to expedite the process"
"Well I agree that I really am in dire need of some character, so whatever."
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 7:40 PM
Insidious-stealthily treacherous or deceitful; adj
Ex- Your ingenious evil plan was magnificently crafted and quite insidous.
Why thank you.
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 7:59 PM
Trireme: An ancient Greek or Roman galley or warship.
Ex: "Looks like Polonius got the new three tiered trireme, that thing sure can take out Carthaginians, eh Gespius?"
"Show off."
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 8:08 PM
defenestrate (vb) to throw something or somebody out of a window
I defenstrated myself after reading all the other weak vocab examples.
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 9:39 PM
Lackadaisical: the word sounds like it means, easy going, laid-back, careless; some may call it lazy.
Ex: “The lackadaisical cat would never move from its warm resting place under the sun…in fact the cat was so lazy it would not even move for food (which the owners had to bring to it) and was becoming a very fat cat.”
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 9:39 PM
antonomasia: the use of a proper name to designate a member of class
The Bard wrote many classics such as "Richard III", "Twelfth Night", and "Romeo and Juliet."
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 10:03 PM
debauchery
–noun, plural -er‧ies.
1. excessive indulgence in sensual pleasures; intemperance.
The wild party goers constantly commited acts of debauchery
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 10:24 PM
Esoteric:Esoteric:(adj) intended for or understood by only a particular group
On the phone, the Computer Repair Man kept speaking a strange esoteric language—which involved lots of byting—so growing tired of my confusion, I hung up.
By
Anonymous, at 11/13/06, 11:02 PM
Lugubrious
adj.
Mournful, dismal, or gloomy, especially to an exaggerated or ludicrous degree.
The day she died it was very lugubrious.
By
Anonymous, at 11/14/06, 7:23 AM
quidnunc: n. : a nosey person; busybody.
I have found one to many quidnuncs in school that seem to know my life before I even know it.
By
Anonymous, at 11/14/06, 4:35 PM
James Bence
Incredulous: (adj) disinclined or indisposed to believe; skeptical
Ex. The man gave his son an incredulous look showing that he did not believe his story.
By
Anonymous, at 11/14/06, 5:25 PM
timmy hirschey
avarice:(n.) excessive greed
Ex. The boy's avarice caused him to lose his friends to others who shared their things.
By
Anonymous, at 11/14/06, 6:42 PM
mercurial: adj: unpredictable
ex. As the girl walked into the room, she had a very mercurial look on her face.
By
Anonymous, at 11/14/06, 8:15 PM
ashley relopez...embarrassing i spelled my name wrong
By
Anonymous, at 11/14/06, 8:16 PM
Invidious (adj) causes ill will or resentment or offense; hateful
Cole, your invidious comments will not be tolerated in this class.
By
Anonymous, at 11/14/06, 8:32 PM
effeminate: (adj) having or showing characteristics regarded as typical of a woman; unmanly.
Conventional people often believe that a boy who cries is effeminate.
By
Anonymous, at 11/14/06, 9:00 PM
Licit : permitted by law; legal
"In case you were wondering, murdering someone, really isn't the licit thing to do."
By
Anonymous, at 11/14/06, 9:25 PM
Hackneyed:Lacking in freshness or originality.
"I'm probably the most hackneyed person i know. I don't think i've every came up with anything on my own."
By
Anonymous, at 11/14/06, 11:20 PM
Obsequious : overly submissive, brownnosing
"The obsequious student brought an apple for her teacher."
By
Anonymous, at 11/15/06, 3:03 AM
Muggel
A non wizard person
Everyone in Mrs.Beatton class is a muggle except for one very special person
By
Anonymous, at 11/15/06, 8:55 PM
Well that one very special person does not know how to spell because "muggle" is actually spelled M-U-G-G-L-E. Geeze. Learn your Harry Potter terms, will you?
By
Anonymous, at 11/16/06, 4:22 PM
Dang it! I used my example inappropriately. An example of antonomasia in a sentence would be:
The antonomasia for William Shakespeare would be "The Bard."
sorry!
By
Anonymous, at 11/20/06, 4:57 PM
Spartacus
Ajd,Noun
def: BadAss
I AM SPARTACUS
By
Anonymous, at 11/30/06, 8:21 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home