Definition Paper Discussion Forum
Please post any questions you have about your definition paper. You may include concerns about any point of the process. Make your comment specific and answerable (don't just vent).
Anyone with advice is able to offer suggestions and I will check the blog occasionally and respond to questions as well.
Please post any questions you have about your definition paper. You may include concerns about any point of the process. Make your comment specific and answerable (don't just vent).
Anyone with advice is able to offer suggestions and I will check the blog occasionally and respond to questions as well.
Remember: part of the learning is in discovering how you choose to approach this paper.

7 Comments:
alright, so I've got a query for anyone who might be able to help:
is it just me, or is it really difficult to find a persuasive way to define something? I'm having difficulty over-all. I don't feel like I'm able to do a proper definition essay because I don't think anyone would care what I have to say, lol. There are ways, of course, to be more persuasive - writing with purpose - but I can't seem to get the hang of it at all :(.
So, in essence, I was curious to know other ways people approached this from. Did you try to imitate some of that "I want a wife" technique, or did you something different?
Very long-winded, but thanks for any help
~* Somewhat Mystified (Julie H.)
By
Anonymous, at 10/26/06, 6:49 PM
Julie! Totally was there but I've discovered a method that's working pretty well. I've kind of been writing in chunks. I'm making sure that each chunk has something important to say to the audience. I stop after each chunk, or idea I suppose would be the proper word, and read it, making sure that it's interesting. I've also been going at it in such a way where I'm saying what the word might mean to one person, and what it means to another, then giving my perspective on it and what I think my word really is.
I'm really liking this paper. It makes you think about the small stuff.
By
Anonymous, at 10/26/06, 7:15 PM
okay so i have a question as well. kind of not really a good question cus it may be simple but we'll see. so i have this idea in my head right, well i always have a problem with writing whats in my head on paper and maybe one or two sentences seem right but the rest i have no clue where it come from. does any one have an idea for how to write in a way where all my "thoughts" actually get on the paper?
and another question: i have a problem with getting my point across. it kind of deals with the forementioned statement (sorry that just sounded cool) but i have problems with making sense. and i know with revisions i can edit it along the way but when i reread my first draft it doesn't even make sense to me. does any body know of a way that could help with writing so as to even understand myself?
sorry that both are more general rather then pertaining stricting to the paper but i realized i can't write this if i can't do those two first. any ideas would be welcome.
confused and bewildered:(sorry julie i wanted to be cool like you)
sarah
By
Anonymous, at 10/26/06, 8:56 PM
Julie, I sent my paper to you but it came back like the address didn't exist.. so its not that i didn't send it, i did. And I can't open Laura's paper.. so this basically is just bad.
By
Anonymous, at 10/26/06, 10:02 PM
hey can someone help me. i dont even know how to approach this paper at all.
By
Anonymous, at 10/29/06, 4:42 PM
someone please help me on how to even start my paper.
By
Anonymous, at 10/29/06, 4:57 PM
Ashley,
Remember to start with audience and purpose. Let's say that you have a word that you identify with or that you see beyond the dictionary definition (like: vote). What do you want to reveal about this word? To whom? Once you choose an audience (like kids who don't pay any attention to politics, or women who never "have time" to vote) then figure out your purpose (do you want them to feel ashamed or empowered?). What do you want to say to this audience as you unpack this word? What's your reason for writing your ideas?
Your writing is a chance to communicate. Get started by figuring out what ideas you have that are worth sharing.
By
Anonymous, at 10/29/06, 8:15 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home